The Braves Stadium and Logo project was done for Pouya Creative. This was an interesting process as it involved working traditional media combined with digital. I took the final images and printed them out at 10% opacity. I then used charcoal in steps to develop the final layers for the reveals. There is also some traditional animation when the player swings the bat. This was a tricky shot lining up the footage of the player with the animation along with the very large background image of the stadium. Getting a seamless transition between these three elements was a real win.
The Tomahawk was the first one I began to layer up and take photos along the way as I re-created the Braves Iconic symbol. I over estimated my abilities to hand draw it, and got the angel of the head of the axe slightly off. Fixing this in After Effects with the warp tool would make later corrections more and more interesting.
The stadium was the most straight forward of the shots. The process of building up a charcoal drawing and photographing it in stages worked out great for this very unique transition.
Starting with rotoscoped charcoal drawings that captured the keyframes of the players swing was a nice return to basics for me on this project. Taking the players footage and combining it with the very large stadium concept art was no easy task. Over all I think the shot is successful and over came some unique challenges.
This final animation was fortunately not used in the final video. The Braves opted to go with a much cleaner approach to showing their brand logo. This piece under went several revisions. The ink blotches were added later to match with some current branding they had going on. This however added one to many elements to the already busy charcoal logo.